NCAA Men’s Swimming and Diving Championships
2023 NCAA PART 1 MEN’S SWIMMING AND DIVING CHAMPIONSHIP
After an epic week of racing in Minneapolis the place eight NCAA data have been set, listed here are the 2022-23 NCAA Swammy Award winners for males.
LAST TEAM RANKINGS
- keep – 482
- State of Arizona – 430
- Texas — 384
- Indiana — 379
- NC Standing — 373.5
- Florida — 367.5
- Tennessee – 216.5
- Stanford – 143.5
- Virginia Tech – 133
- auburn — 127
- State of Ohio – 112
- Georgia — 96
- Texas A&M — 80
- Virginia – 78
- LSU/Missouri — 62.5
- (to attach)
- notre dame – 62
- Alabama — 57
- Michigan — 37
- Minnesota — 36
- USC – 31
- Miami (FL)/UNC/Wisconsin — 27
- (to attach)
- (to attach)
- South Carolina — 15
- Utah – 14
- Princeton/Southern Illinois/Kentucky — 13
- (to attach)
- (to attach)
- Colombia – 12
- Arizona — 11
- Penn St / Pitt – 4
- (to attach)
- Georgia Tech – 3
- Air Power/Towson — 2
- (to attach)
- Purdue — 1
SWIMMER OF THE INVENTION – LEON MARCHANDCLASS 2, STATE OF ARIZONA
Meet’s reigning Swimmer dazzled at their second NCAA, recording the quickest instances ever in six completely different occasions in a 72-hour span, by some means exceeding very excessive expectations.
Marchand fired warning pictures, following the quickest 50 breaststroke unfold in historical past (22.27) in Arizona State’s 200 medley relay on Wednesday night time, adopted by an anchor of 1:28.42 within the Solar Devils’ 800 free relay and 1:29′. He was the primary individual below it. virtually chasing the Texas standout Carson Foster within the course of. His time would have gained 200 free particular person occasions by greater than two seconds.
Over the following two days on Thursday and Friday, Marchand destroyed the second mark by practically three seconds, breaking his personal NCAA and US Open data in each the 200 IM (1:36.34) and 400 IM (3:28.82). Friday night time added ASU’s 100 quickest breast relays (49.23) to the 400 medley relay, serving to the Solar Devils end beneath the earlier NCAA file regardless of inserting third within the finals.
Come Saturday, it was comprehensible how Marchand went “solely” 1:46.91 and continued to decrease the earlier NCAA and US Open file of 1:47.67, which he set earlier this month on the Pac-12 Championships. Together with his fifth particular person NCAA title, he completed his match by serving to ASU place third within the 400 free relay with the second quickest division on the sphere (40.55). The 20-year-old Frenchman is now in one other stratosphere, proving it as soon as once more in Minneapolis this week.
- Josh Liendo, a freshman, Florida – Canadian Olympian appeared to solely be getting stronger all through the rendezvous. After ending second in 50 free (18.40) and 100 flights (43.40) behind Tennessee Jordan Crooks and Virginia Tech Yusuf Ramadanrespectively, Liendo returned with their first particular person NCAA title within the Free 100 on Saturday. His 40.28 win time made him the second quickest man in historical past after former Gator. Caeleb Dressel (39.90). Liendo was additionally a drive to be reckoned with in Florida’s relays, slashing the primary 43-under-100-fly scatter in historical past through the Gators’ record-breaking 400 medley relay victory on Friday night time.
- Destin Lascojunior, Cal – could not fairly beat Outdated Bear Ryan MurphyHe broke the seven-year NCAA, US and US Open data from 2016 of 1:35.73, however Lasco retained his 2 hundredth title with a private better of 1:35.87. This time is the third quickest ever, after solely Texas A&M. Shaine Casas (1:35.75) and Murphy. Lasco added 200 IM (1:38.10 for second-place) and 100 again (43.94 for third-place) podium finishes, scoring a complete of 53 factors—greater than Cal’s 52-point lead over second-place ASU.
COACH OF THE YEAR: BOB BOWMAN, STATE OF ARIZONA
ASU’s fast rise makes it simple to neglect the place this system was lower than a decade in the past. When Bowman first took over the Solar Devils in 2016, they completed forty fourth within the NCAAs. Previous to this 12 months, they’d didn’t move sixth, a feat they achieved in each 1982 and 2022. It was final 12 months’s outcomes date, and so they cleared a complete of 2022 factors after simply tenth occasion on their solution to 2nd place this week. Behind Cal.
Sure, Marchand’s once-in-a-generation expertise was essential in getting ASU to complete second this season – this system’s finest ever present by 4 locations within the NCAAs – however Solar Devils was removed from a one-man present. Bowman and his teaching crew deserve credit score for growing a deep lineup of Solar Devils made up of freshmen. Hubert Kos (37 factors) and owen mcdonald (27 factors) with veterans grant home (30 factors) and Jack Dolan (25 factors). Kos, McDonald and Dolan made a number of A-finals and completed third behind Kos within the 200 (1:37.96).
- Dave Durden, Cal – In his first 12 months at Berkeley guiding each the boys’s and girls’s packages, Durden led the Bears to their second consecutive nationwide championship. With 482 factors, Cal turned the primary consecutive champion since Texas took 4 straight wins in 2015-18. The Bears prevailed regardless of having just one particular person champion (Destin Lasco), displaying his depths with the triple swimmer making three A finals: Lasco (53 factors), hugo gonzalez (50) and Gabriel Jett (46).
- Ryan WochomurkaThe Auburn – Tigers’ second-year head coach introduced his group into the highest 10 for the primary time since 2016. Final season, in his first 12 months on the helm, Wochomurka completed twenty fifth at Auburn, the crew’s finest efficiency in 4 seasons. 12 months. This time round, he helped the Tigers leap 15 locations within the standings, accumulate 28 All-America awards from 12 completely different athletes, and set three faculty data. Most impressively, Wochomurka made important progress with out a star on the roster, as a substitute counting on teamwork powered by veteran gamers. Aidan Stoffle (14 factors), Nate Stoffle (11 factors) and Reid Mikuta (7 factors).
NEW HIRE COACH OF THE YEAR: CHRIS LINDAUER, NOTRE DAME
Longtime Louisville resident Chris Lindauer He envisioned a fast comeback in his first 12 months as head coach of Preventing Irish. Notre Dame took a complete of 62 factors on the best way to 18th place, the perfect end in program historical past, up 15 locations from final 12 months. Lindauer’s crew scored 47 extra factors than anticipated, setting seven faculty data with simply three particular person eliminations.
Beneath Lindauer’s management, Jack Hoagland He completed his final season with B-finals in 1650 freestyle (fifth place (14:38.64) and 500 freestyle (4:12.49 for tenth place) and 400 IM (3:40.82 for twelfth place). The way forward for Preventing Irish seems vibrant with sophomore Chris Guiliano (ninth place in 200 freestyle, tenth in 100 freestyle) and first 12 months scholar tommy janson (14th in 100, tenth in 200) is placing out debuting performances.
SWIMMERS OF THE YEAR: VAN MATHIAS, FIFTH YEAR, INDIANA
The 100 chest was a late addition to the lineup of occasions for Mathias’s latest NCAA for the Hoosiers, but it surely turned out to be an incredible resolution. Mathias, historically a butterfly and IM specialist, has moved to 50/100 free observe this season and has additionally added 100 chests to the roster to fill a crew want.
“I simply informed Ray, John and Cory I wished to go quick,” mentioned Mathias, describing a preseason with Indiana’s coaches. “I wished to assist the crew on level as a lot as I may and that is 100 memes. We sort of gambled on the best way in – we did not know if it will work that properly.”
Mathias’s gamble paid off this season, down greater than 4 seconds within the one hundredth place and ending second at 50.60 behind the three-time champion. Max McHugh (50.00). Mathias was only a blink gradual within the ultimate in comparison with his private finest of fifty.57 within the qualifiers. What makes the achievement much more outstanding is that he didn’t swim 100 chests for an official interval of 2018-22.
Mathias did not end serving to the Hoosiers in Saturday night time’s 100 freestyles, ending seventh (41.39), slicing his finest time by greater than two seconds into the season. General, he contributed 35 particular person factors, the third most on Indiana’s 4th-ranked roster.
- Jack Alexy, sophomore, Cal – After serving as a worthwhile a part of the Bears freestyle races final season, Alexy took an enormous step ahead as a sophomore. The 1.8m New Jersey native completed sixth (18.87) within the 50 freestyles and 2nd within the 100 freestyles (40.92) only one 12 months after ending twenty third in each occasions. Alexy, considered one of 11 swimmers to interrupt the 41-second barrier in 100 freestyle races, lower down greater than half a second of his finest time of his life to rise to seventh place within the all-time standings.
FIRST STUDENT OF THE YEAR: JOSH LIENDOFLORIDA
Liendo’s first NCAAs have been spectacular, scoring extra factors than some other swimmer besides Marchand. On Thursday night time, Liendo was the quickest freshman ever within the 50 freestyles, just some occasions lower than lacking the person championship (18.40), by 18.22 within the Gators’ record-breaking 200 freestyle relay (1:13.35). one tenth behind Jordan Crooks (18.32).
After ending one other second within the 100 fly (43.40) on Friday, he shined as soon as once more within the relay on the finish of the session, recording the primary 43 six splits in historical past within the 100 fly legs of Florida’s 400 medley relay. Then on Saturday, Liendo took his first particular person NCAA crown in a time of 40.28, placing collectively his finest efficiency within the match. The victory made him the second quickest participant ever. Caeleb Dressel. At 20, it is price noting that Liendo is one 12 months older than a typical school freshman.
- Hubert Kos, Arizona State – Mid-year Kos from Hungary was chargeable for the second most factors within the Solar Devils (37), with a 4th place end within the 200 IM (1:41.61). End in 400 IMs (3:37.00) and end third in 200 IMs (1:37.96).
- Owen McDonald, Arizona State – McDonald was properly behind Kos with 27 factors and in addition made a number of A-finals behind 100 and 200 behind. After ending sixth and fifth respectively within the finals with 44.85 and 1:39.34, he is been down 100 greater than two seconds and 200 behind by greater than three seconds this season.
- Baylor Nelson, Texas A&M – Prime highschool class recruit of 2022 led the Aggies to complete their rookie marketing campaign with 19 factors and was highlighted with an A-final look within the 200 IM. Nelson completed seventh with a time of 1:40.88, one second behind his earlier finest in 2021. March.
#NCAA #Mens #Swimming #Diving #Championships